Saturday, July 12, 2008

FlowTV Column on the Significance of Exile in Guyvile


I had the honor of being asked to serve as a guest columnist for FlowTV, a publication devoted to critical analysis of television and media culture published through the RTF department at the University of Texas (in Austin, one of the greatest cities in the world), and my first column, which is basically, my feelings about the 15th anniversary re-release of Liz Phair's "Exile in Guyville" and accompanying DVD, was just posted. 

Oddly, it wound up being one of the most difficult pieces I've had to write (yes, a 140-page dissertation was somehow easier in a lot of ways), I think because it posed so many conflicting feelings for me. 1) I love the album and have such nostalgia for the time that it was released, and it was such an influence on me as a girl, as a musician, and later, as a scholar, and 2) The way culture has changed in 15 years -- and I will argue that things ARE different now than they were 5, 10, 15 and 20 years ago with regard to women, girls and sexuality -- has complicated my feelings about what Phair did even more, and 2) I'm not much of a fan of anything that she's done in the past 10 years, nor did I find myself feeling better about it while watching the accompanying DVD. Anyway, here's the column (and do read some of the incredibly well articulated responses afterward -- I think a few are better argued than my piece!):


(Thanks so much to Kristen Lambert, my editor at Flow, who very kindly let me go past deadline and my word limit. I'll do better next time, I promise.)

Now that I'm finished with the first column, I vow to get back to the primary mission of this blog -- showcasing relevant research on girls and media. On deck... Review/discussions of The Lolita Effect by Gigi Durham, Just Girls (an oldie but a goodie) by Margaret Finders and Maiden USA by Kathleen Sweeney.


2 comments:

clairehelene7 said...

Hi Shayla - I found your blog via Facebook. I loved your column on Phair. It is very weird that the dvd has no input from women in music from that era (or even now, for its legacy's sake). Just watch the trailer sort of weirded me out. I think it's interesting that Phair is disconnected from her album's impact on women.

Anyhow, hope you're well!

Shayla Thiel-Stern said...

Thanks, Claire! Indeed, the trailer is pretty weird (the whole John Cusack appearance/connection especially). Despite everything, though, I still really like her, and I've been playing songs from that album again, and it's not just for nostalgia's sake. That's good stuff. Anyway, thanks for reading.